- You can make your iPhone alarm louder by dragging the Ringer and Alerts slider in the Settings app.
- You should also be sure to choose a louder alarm sound that has a more aggressive noise, which can more easily wake you.
- Consider playing the alarm through external speakers or using an Apple Watch, which can also help wake you with haptics.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Is your iPhone’s alarm not loud enough to do its job in the morning? Sure, you might bear some of the blame if you’re an especially sound sleeper, but your iPhone needs to be able to step up to the challenge as well. The good news is that you can raise the volume with just a few taps and not miss your wake-up alarm.
How to make your iPhone alarm louder
Your iPhone relies on one accessible slider in Settings to control the overall volume of your alarm. Just beware that this is also your phone’s ringer volume, so you should choose a level that’s appropriate for both.
1. On your iPhone, start the Settings app.
2. Tap Sound & Haptics.
3. In the Ringer and Alerts section, drag the slider to the right to increase the volume.
By default, the volume buttons on the side of your iPhone do not control the ringer and alerts volume (which is also the alarm volume). But you can enable this, which makes it easier to quickly adjust the volume at bedtime. In the Settings app, tap Sound & Haptics, then in the Ringer and Alerts section, turn on Change with Buttons by swiping the button to the right. Just be sure you don’t accidentally lower the volume using the buttons.
Other tips for making sure your iPhone alarm goes off properly
There are a few other tips you can check or apply to your alarm’s volume and vibration to help wake you up.
- Make sure you haven’t accidentally set the alarm sound to None. Start the Clock app, tap the Alarm tab and tap the alarm you want to use. Make sure Sound is not set to None.
- Choose a louder alarm sound. Not all alarm sounds are normalized to the same level, and some have a more aggressive noise, which can make them sound louder. That’s especially true if you use your own song or sound effect. Start the Clock app, tap the Alarm tab and tap the alarm you want to use. Tap Sound, then explore the various sounds to see which one works best for you.
- Change or customize the alarm vibration. Through the Clock app, you can also change your alarm vibration or even create a custom vibration pattern to accompany the alarm’s sound.
- Play the alarm through external speakers. If you can’t make your iPhone loud enough to suit you, that probably means there’s something wrong with the phone’s built-in speaker, and you might want to get it serviced. In the meantime, you might consider connecting the phone to a dock with integrated speakers or some other external speaker that you can set as loud as you like.
- Use the iPhone with an Apple Watch. An Apple Watch can be configured to work with your iPhone’s Alarm app and will wake you with vibrations and sound.