- The temporary restraining order against Mary Trump — that prevented her from discussing her new tell-all book, “Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man” — was lifted on Monday.
- The president’s younger brother Robert Trump filed a lawsuit to prevent the book’s release.
- The judge’s decision on Monday to lift the temporary restraining order will now allow Mary Trump to discuss the book publicly.
- Mary Trump tweeted on Monday evening, “Happy Infrastructure Week.”
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The temporary restraining order against Mary Trump that prevented her from discussing her new book was lifted on Monday, the day before her bombshell book was set to be released.
In her tell-all book, “Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man,” the president’s niece alleges that Trump “dismissed and derided” his own father when he began succumbing to Alzheimer’s and called Mary “stacked” in front of his then-wife Marla Maples, among other claims.
The president’s younger brother Robert Trump had tried to prevent the book’s release, claiming that it violated confidentiality agreements. Publisher Simon & Schuster said it didn’t know about the nondisclosure agreement. Earlier this month, a judge lifted a temporary restraining order against Simon & Schuster, saying the book was in the “public interest.”
The judge’s decision on Monday to lift the temporary restraining order will now allow Mary Trump to discuss the book publicly.
“There is no doubt that the Book is out in the public eye in significant quantities and has reached millions of people by the tremendous attention it has gained by the media,” New York Judge Hal Greenwald wrote in his ruling. “Comparing the potential enormous cost and logistical nightmare of stopping the publication, recalling and removing hundreds of thousands of books from all types of booksellers, brick and mortar and virtual, libraries and private citizens, is an insurmountable task at this time.”
Mary Trump’s lawyer, Ted Boutrous, praised the ruling in a statement posted to Twitter.
“The court got it right in rejecting the Trump family’s effort to squelch Mary Trump’s core political speech on important issues of public concern,” Boutrous said. “The First Amendment forbids prior restraints because they are intolerable infringements on the right to participate in democracy. Tomorrow, the American public will be able to read Mary’s important words for themselves.”
Simon & Schuster said in a statement to CNN that it was “delighted” by the ruling.
“The unfettered right to publish is a sacred American freedom and a founding principle of our republic, and we applaud the Court for affirming well-established precedents against prior restraint and pre-publication injunctions,”
The White House has denied the contents of the book.
“Mary Trump and her book’s publisher may claim to be acting in the public interest, but this book is clearly in the author’s own financial self-interest,” deputy press secretary Sarah Matthews said in a statement earlier this month. “President Trump has been in office for over three years working on behalf of the American people — why speak out now?”
Mary Trump tweeted on Monday evening: “Happy Infrastructure Week.”